Friday, January 21, 2011

Great friends are hard to come by...

I knew something was up when my best friend asked me to get some time with her during the week last Sunday.  My guess was that she was pregnant again, since she had been on a roll with childbearing.  All I knew was that it had to have been important, since she wanted our time on the calendar.  Then she said something like, "Can I just share my life with my friend?"  I shook my head and rolled my eyes in my mind, because, I knew, even if she wasn't spilling what was really going on at the time, there was something heavy that she was about to tell me.

This afternoon, I made it to her house and kissed her babies as much as I could before we truly sat down and got serious.  As she starts to talk, I could tell it was serious, because she had this sneaky smile on her face like she was unsure how I was going to react to it.  So, before she could even say anything, I asked, "Are you preggers with a boy this time?"  She laughs hard for a second and then shakes her head.  If she wasn't pregnant, it could only be one thing left.  So I yell out, "Man, whatever you are about to tell me, just don't say that you are moving or that your husband is not going to be preaching at our church or anything like that."  And just as soon as I said it, she laid it on me, "We are moving."  I was in total shock in hopes that she was playing some sort of joke on me, but the more I looked at her, the more I knew she was being 100% honest with me.  The next thing I knew, my eyes were full of water and the tears begin to stream down my face.

This woman, has been my best friend for the past five years and everything about our relationship has been positive and motivating for me.  She is one of the most disciplined and heavy movers for Christ, that one can't help but be inspired to want to grow in the Lord too.  This woman, who is the godmother of my daughter, and who I can talk to about anything is leaving, has been such a huge blessing to my life and my children. 

The funny thing about my relationship with her is that when we first met, I couldn't stand her.  She was my supervisor at the time and I thought she had the most stuck up attitude.  The more I got to know her, I realized that she was one of the most down to earth people and just wanted to share the love of Christ with people.  We'd been friends through her and her husband's struggle with getting pregnant and celebrated when they were able to have baby one and baby two.  Years ago when I thought I had friends and people that I would refer to as best friends, I thought I knew what friends were like, but when I met her and realized what friendship was all about, she totally changed my perspective of that.  I can honestly say that she loves me for who I am and is literally one of the best people I know.

So, as I am crying my eyes out, she is trying to convince me that our friendship is not over, but that we are just going to have to be intentional about visiting one another and getting together.  It sounds so good when you say it and deep down in my heart, I pray that she and I will stay in touch and continue to encourage each other and love one another in friendship from Atlanta to Raleigh.  The news she gave me was almost as devestating as me finding out that my husband had been unfaithful to me for years, but the difference is knowing that I am going to miss someone who genuinely love me for who I am and is on fire for Christ.  If it's one thing that I learned or realized today it's that great friends are hard to come by.  You can't just find them anywhere, and when you do find one, you have to hold on tight to them.  I love my best friend and just pray that her family would be blessed in their new adventure and that this would only strengthen our friendship through the years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment